cigarettestubPA.jpgI would like to start by saying that I believe if you smoke, you should quit. I have smoked 2 packs a day for the past 35 years. I would like to quit, for many reasons (health, well-being, budget, and more).

I may be ranting here but I am tired of all the disinformation from groups that feel we are stupid and need to be mislead or legislated into doing the right thing as they see it. The government and the medical profession are guilty of this regarding smoking dangers. From the information out there you would think that if you smoke you get cancer. Is that true? Not necessarily.

If a man smoked 2 packs a day for 50 years, and is 68 years of age, he has a 15 percent chance of getting lung cancer. So if you smoke for 50 years and don't quit you have around a 1 in 7 chance of getting cancer?

Truthfully I don't know since they are so bad with statistics; I am sure they don't know for sure. What do I mean by "bad with statistics"? I will give you an example: While doing my research I have found it to be the universal truth that 90 percent of all lung cancer patients are smokers. In digging deeper they say that the other 10 percent are victims of radon, smog, asbestos etc.

That just might be the stupidest thing I have ever read. It is a statistical impossibility that none of the patients that smoke could have contracted cancer from another source such as the ones mentioned for the non smokers. I guess smokers are immune to radon and smog.

I think the truth is that there is a high percentage of lung cancer that is caused by smoking; we just don't know how high. But hey the 90 percent sure sounds good for the agenda! So you may ask what the point of this rant is. The point is, just give us the real facts and we'll take it from there. We may be smarter than you think.

PS if you want to know what your chances are and are over 50 check out this link.