To collect his “prize” for having the correct answer to last week’s contest, Gunny has asked that I put together a list of my Top Ten Favorite Quotes – Celebrity or Political. I have more than ten from just Ronald Reagan alone. Decisions. I hate making decisions.
Here goes …
9. To suggest that combatants who fight without a flag or a uniform; who wipe their feet on the Geneva Convention; who disguise themselves as women; who hide in mosques and marketplaces; who slice off the heads of their prisoners; and who use children as shields; are entitled to the same safeguards as soldiers is sheer lunacy. – Burt Prelutsky
7. I have never studied the art of paying compliments to women; but I must say that if all that has been said by orators and poets since the creation of the world in praise of women were applied to the women of America, it would not do them justice for their conduct during this war. I will close by saying, God bless the women of America! – Abraham Lincoln
6. We didn’t lose Vietnam. We quit Vietnam. – Alexander Haig
4. As long as I live, I will never forget that day 21 years ago when I raised my hand and took the oath of citizenship. Do you know how proud I was? I was so proud that I walked around with an American flag around my shoulders all day long. – Arnold Schwarzenegger
3. …when we draw lines in the sand with regard to certain basic things that are vital to our interest and to the interest of democracy and our friends around the world, we have to be willing to back that up. – Fred Thompson
2. In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American…There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. .. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people. – Theodore Roosevelt
1. What some call health, if purchased by perpetual anxiety about diet, isn’t much better than tedious disease. – George Dennison Prentice
UPDATE 05/23 – I found a picture of Kim and posted it above, but here’s the link to the shirt, nonetheless.